Numerous factors may contribute to a student becoming at risk at any level in his or her academic growth. In keeping with this, the Student Support Services of Al - Falaah College, provides a valuable support service for these, at risk children. This is especially true for those who experience problems that create barriers to learning. We expect that these services would lay down the foundation for positive behaviour, health and wellness and sound academic performance.
The Guidance and Counselling Program is responsible for assisting learners in developing:
1. The Knowledge, understanding and acceptance of the self and others
2. The skills necessary for effective career exploration and planning
3. The competencies needed for education and vocational development.
Student Support Services include, but are not exclusive to, the following:
• Socio – Emotional counselling
• Counselling for behavioural/discipline issues.
• Academic counselling and learning disabilities
• Counselling for health and general well being
2. CAREER GUIDANCE
3. GUIDANCE FOR TERTIARY STUDIES
4. STUDY SKILLS
5. LIFE SKILLS
Direct services are provided by various means, such as education, consultation, counselling and individual assessment.
The department also engages the services of external practitioners for the following:
1. Long term counselling/ Psychotherapy
2. Psychometric testing for subject and career choices
3. First Aid Training
4. Occupational Therapy
5. Assessments for barriers to learning
6. University Liaison Officers for career guidance